Thursday, August 12, 2010

Geocaching - 8/4/10

After returning from vacation where I began geocaching, I was anxious to get the family going so we headed out at 6am!  This series of caches was more so a tutorial for everyone, because they had no idea what exactly we were going to be doing.  The first cache we found was located behind a large boulder and was an ammunition can.  After signing the log and trading a few items, we moved on! First cache found in Las Vegas was done!

















The next cache was a micro, very small, and was cleverly hidden.  The coordinates led us to merely nothing but small stones and a sign post.  Mom and I watched some videos about people who hide micros on posts so we looked in but saw nothing.  Apparently we didn't look good enough, because Josh took a peek in and saw a piece of fishing line hanging.  After some quick thinking, we pulled the cache out of the sign!  It was the smallest one I have found.  The size of your pinky! The only thing that could fit inside the cache was the log, a rolled up piece of paper, which was not easy putting back.

















After these 2 easy caches, we began our hike on Oak Creek Trail.  It wasn't long before we found all other caches were looking for! All successful finds!  After this day, we were hooked!

2 comments:

  1. 6am???

    I guess there you have to get going before the heat gets too bad?

    I'm glad I live in temperate England, I like my sleep too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6am is correct.
    If you wait any longer, it is physically impossible and not safe, so the earlier the better! Not to mention geocaching in 110+ degree weather isn't fun when your looking for a micro in a field of rocks and Joshua Trees with the sun beating down on you.

    ReplyDelete